THE AESTHETIC VIRTUOSO
“I consider myself an artist. But instead of using the paint and brush to produce a wok of art, I use the science of cosmetic surgery to let beauty shine out in each of my clients. For more than 30 years, my commitment to this medical craft has enhanced and transformed the lives not only of women but also of men. This only goes to show that beauty not only pleases the eyes but also charms the body and soul.”
Name: BENJAMIN TAN ALONZO, M.D. FPAAS, FPPAI, FPAMS, FICCS
Specialty: General Cosmetic Surgery
Birthday: May 8
Civil Status: Married
Interests: Swimming, computers and electronic gadgets
Dr. Alonzo might seem like an ordinary doctor at first sight. Donned in his green scrub suit if he has a scheduled operation or in a simple polo and jeans on normal consultation days, he would meet you with his deep eyes and greet you with a warm smile. Though he might seem quiet and reserved, there is definitely more to the doctor in the house than meets the eye.
Doc Benz, as his patients fondly call him, took Medical Technology as a Pre-Med Course in Far Eastern University-Manila in 1979 and pursued his postgraduate studies in Medicine at Bicol Christian College Of Medicine in Ago, Legaspi City in 1984. The road towards the fulfilment of his dreams was undoubtedly rocky. But Doc Benz’ strong willpower persisted in him as he trod the path he chose to take. In 1986, he decided to pursue additional two-year training in cosmetic surgery in De Los Santos Medical Center in Quezon City under the supervision of Dra. Corazon Collantes.
Doc Benz admitted that Dra. Collantes, his good friend and mentor, was one of his greatest influences in his career. She was the Vice President of the Society for Cosmetic Surgery then when he first met her. “Actually, I had a classmate then who was invited to take up preciptorial lessons under her. My friend tagged me along and I was also offered by the good doctor to join him,” Doc Benz recalled. And since then the rest was history. “That is how I ended up being a cosmetic surgeon,” he added.
After his tutorship in 1986, he got into private practice. Needing to be infused with more knowledge, he set out for Japan for further studies. He underwent advanced training in Jujin Hospital in Shimbashi and at Inaba’s Specialist clinic in Tokyo, two of the top cosmetic clinics in Japan.
Professional Memberships and Fellowships:
- Fellow of Philippine Academy of Aesthetic Surgery
- Fellow of Philippine Association of Medical Specialist
- Fellow of Asia College of Cosmetic Surgery
- Fellow of Pan Pacific Aesthetic Institute
- Founding Member of Philippine Society of Liposuction Surgery
- Member of Asian Pacific Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- Member of American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- Member of International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery
- Member of Japan Society of Aesthetic Surgery
- Member of International Society of Aesthetic Surgery
- Member of Quezon City Medical Society
- Member of Philippine Medical Association
Despite what he had accomplished at a young age, Doc Benz knew that his career should not and would not stop here. Instead, he invested not only his time, effort and knowledge in improving his craft, but he as well devoted his heart to his studies and training. He participated in numerous conventions, scientific meetings and seminars both in local and international settings; held key positions in professional organizations; and spent ample time of service in top institutions.
After several encounters, consultations and trainings about cosmetic surgery, Doc Benz realized his new calling: to set-up his own cosmetic surgery clinic. And that was how BEAUFACES came to being as one of the most respected clinics of its kind in the Philippines.
Looking back at what he had gone through, Doc Benz feels contented knowing that his hard work was not in vain. “All paid off in the end,” he admitted. “If you invest your best, your rewards are also the best of its kind.”
Doc Benz is confident that BEAUFACES has a very distinct edge in cosmetic surgery industry. “I am an artist, and having an artistic mind and hand makes my work more beautiful.” He specializes in a wide range of services such as noselift, facelift, bustlift and nipple reduction, sliteye & eyebag removal, browlift, lip reduction & lip reconstruction, chin augmentation, cleft chin & dimple construction, Liposuction & fat recycle, vaginoplasty & hymenoplasty, removal of excessive under-arm sweating & body odor, hair transplant, stem cell theraphy etc.
Aside from cosmetic surgery his clinic also does Derma Treatment such as skin care, which includes the removal of pimples, black & white heads, freckles & skin peeling; Dermabrasion; Scar revision; Removal of warts, mole, cyst & keloid; and permanent eyebrow & eyeliner tattooing, Hair removal, Glutathion, placenta and stemcell Injection etc.
Positions Held in Professional Organizations and Working Experiences:
- President – Philippine Academy Of Aesthetic Surgery, 2004 & 2005
- Faculty Member- Phil. Academy Of Aesthetic Surgery, 1998 to present
- Auditor - Phil. Society of Liposuction Surgery, 2003-2013
- Auditor – Philippine Medical Association, 2004 - 2006
- Vice President – Phil. Academy of Aesthetic Surgery, 2003 – 2004
- Treasurer - Phil. Academy of Aesthetic Surgery, 1996-2003
- Marketing Director – Pan Pacific Aesthetic Institute
- Faculty Member – Pan Pacific Aesthetic Institute
- Treasurer – Hair Transplant Center Pan Pacific Aesthetic Institute
- Member of Committee on Affiliates Societies – PMA, 1999-2000
- Assistant Treasurer - Phil. Academy of Aesthetic Surgery, 1995-1996
- PRO - Phil. Academy of Aesthetic Surgery, 1994-1995
- President / Cosmetic Surgeon – Beaufaces 1987 up to the present
- Cosmetic Surgeon – Great Faces, 1988 - 1991
- Vice President – SM Lazo Med Ctr Specialist Group, 1988-1990
- Cosmetic Surgeon – Contours Face & Body Specialist 1988-1990
- Cosmetic Surgeon – Buncio Medical Center, 1987 – 1990
After more than 30 years of medical practice, Doc Benz and BEAUFACES had gone a long way. “When I started my career, I knew I had to build a name for myself to become successful,” he shared. At this time, Doc Benz had not only fulfilled what he dreamt of but had surpassed his expectations as he continues to further his craft to help and satisfy even more patients who continue to dream with him.