The technique depends on the shape of the nostrils and nasal proportion to the whole face, but generally its goal is to make the nose look compatible with the rest of the facial features. Surgery is done by cutting out a wedge-shaped piece from the outer base of each of your nostrils. Then your nose will be covered with splint or bandage. It is performed in the clinic under local anesthesia on an outpatient basis, and usually takes an hour to finish.
During the consultation:
- Dr. Alonzo will evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors. He will also discuss the likely outcomes of the procedure, risks and complications, type of anesthesia that will be used, and all aspects of the surgery from preparation to post-operative care and follow up and recovery.
- Before the surgery, you will be advised to take certain medications or adjust your current medications.
- Stop smoking few days before the surgery, as smoking can increase bleeding.
- You will be asked to avoid taking aspirin and anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Special instructions on what to do the night before the surgery will be given.
- Normally, you will feel pain and discomfort at the nose area and experience nose puffiness during the first days after the operation. It can be alleviated by the medications prescribed by Dr. Alonzo, which you will take for 7 days.
- Sleep with the head higher than the chest to help reduce swelling and discomfort. It can also help you recover faster.
- After 2 or 3 days, you will feel no pain but swelling in the nose and eyelid area will persist, although most of our patients report that they experience a little bruising only in the dorsum of the nose.
- Don’t be alarmed if there is some bleeding from the incision site, as this is normal and often resolve within 2 days.
- Swelling and bruising around the eyes will start to disappear within a week and will completely subside for about 2 weeks.
- You will be required to see Dr. Alonzo on the third day for the removal of the bandage/splint, then on the 7th and 10th day for the removal of stitches.
Post surgery recovery:
- You can go back to work after 1 or 2 weeks.
- Avoid strenuous activities that can increase pressure to the face, which can prolong swelling and bruising for the next 2 to 3 weeks.
- After the removal of the bandage and stitches, the patient must take care of her/his nose not to be injured until it is completely healed.
- Glass frames should not be allowed to rest on the bridge of the nose for three weeks. Using contact lenses can be resumed within two to three days after the surgery.
* ALARPLASTY PHILIPPINES * * ALAR TRIMMING *